State Police announced the arrest of 42 people Sunday for operating an illegal bird fighting ring in Herkimer County.
Troopers spent the past six months investigating the operation at a barn located at Mr. P’s Landscaping on 2308 Higby Road in Frankfort.
On Saturday, a search warrant was obtained for the property where troopers seized 55 game birds commonly used for bird fighting, and over $68,000. State Police say a second barn nearby was housing a bird breeding and training facility where another 180 game birds were found.
All 250 birds were saved and turned over to the Herkimer County Humane Society.
Investigators also seized three ounces of heroin that was found inside a car parked at the barn, according to state police.
According to State Police, these are the 42 individuals charged with engaging in animal fighting for amusement, a felony:
- MARCELINO BURGOS, age 65, 1009 Dudley Ave, Utica, NY 13501
- JOSE L. MORLAS-ORTIZ, age 34, 1524 Neilson St, Utica, NY 13501
- JOSE G. SANTIAGO-MARTINEZ, age 44, 204 ½ Magnolia St, Moorefield, WV 2683 – also charged with Criminal Possession of a Controlled Substance in the Seventh Degree
- GILBERTO TAVERAS, age 32, 1615 Bleecker St, Utica, NY 13501
- MARCELINO CINTRA, age 54, 23 Rosemary Dr, Rochester, NY 14621
- ARNALDO R. SANTIAGO, age 35, 838 Bleecker St, Utica, NY 13501
- EIXTON FLORES, age 61, 418 Alphonse St, Rochester, NY 14621
- JOSE GARCIA, age 44, 1523 Neilson St, Utica, NY 13501
- CAMILLE GARCIA, age 36, 12 Rosetta Petruzzi Way, Buffalo, NY 14201
- JOSE J. TORRES, age 40, 100 Borinquen Plaza Apt 802, Rochester, NY 14605
- JOEL MATEO, age 31, 1661 Lincoln Ave, Utica, NY 13501
- JOSE J, MORALES, age 37, 1580 Genesee St, Utica, NY 13502
- VICTOR FELIX DEJESUS, age 35, 272 Belmont St, Buffalo, NY 14213 – also charged with Unlawful Possession of Marijuana
- JOSUE RIVERA, age 45, 66 Auburn Ave, Buffalo, NY 14213
- NELSON R. COLON, age 46, 429…