We believe that e-commerce represents the largest threat of third-party toner and inkjet cartridges to the OEMS and domestic remanufacturers.
Weymouth, MA (PRWEB)
July 13, 2017
InfoTrends, a division of Keypoint Intelligence, is pleased to announce a new multi-client study entitled Sizing Ink & Toner E-Commerce: Mapping the Impact of China and Third-party Supplies. This study will help ink and toner OEMs better understand the threats the e-commerce marketplace landscape represents.
Purchasing supplies through e-commerce marketplaces is risky for both OEMs and end users. Preliminary results from InfoTrends’ Business Purchasing Survey show about 20% of businesses report they “shop the internet” among the top two ways in which they buy ink and toner cartridges. Among the 20%, almost half of those businesses reported issues with product purchases.
“We believe that e-commerce represents the largest threat of third-party toner and inkjet cartridges to the OEMS and domestic remanufacturers,” commented John Shane, Director at InfoTrends. “This creates a serious marketing challenge as both the customer experience and brand integrity can be negatively impacted.”
There are several risk factors that vendors face:
E-Commerce marketplaces offer supplies buyers a bewildering assortment of ink and toner cartridges
- Remans, new-build compatibles, unknowns
- Many third-party inks and toners sold on the internet appear to be patent or trademark infringing
- Third-party supplies on the internet are often 20% of the price of OEM supplies
- Users may or may not be receiving the products that they are expecting
- Competitive manufacturing sources are frequently unknown
Results of this study will:
- Qualify the impact of…