PUBLISHED: 10:39 19 June 2017
Beauty salons, spas, pubs and restaurants in the Fens are being urged to make sure oil residues are washed from clothes and towels before being placed into tumble dryers
The warning comes from the fire service amid a spate of fires where items were placed inside a tumble dryer where the heat caused the oils to combust, setting fire to the materials and causing a blaze inside the drum.
Fire chiefs say washing items at temperatures that are too low mean high risk oil residues are left behind.
In the most recent incident, crews were called to a dry cleaning business after towels from a spa were placed in an industrial dryer with oil residues on them, causing a fire inside the drum.
This follows a second incident earlier in the year, where towels from a spa were placed inside a dryer causing a fire.
Station commander Giles Grainger, fire protection manager of Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service, said the service have attended similar fires in pubs and…