Old trails never seem to totally disappear.
The Connecticut Forest and Park Association created its first “Blue-Blazed” Trail in 1930, a path that traveled from Prospect to Mount Carmel — the “Sleeping Giant.” The trail passed over Bluff Head in Prospect and continued to wind its way south.
Since then the trail has been rerouted and now runs 24 miles from Mount Sanford to North Haven — and the association now has more than 825 miles of Blue —Blazed trails. Bluff Head became a forgotten place until Boardman W. Kathan donated 65 acres to the Prospect Land Trust in 2012 and the public was once again welcomed to Bluff Head.
Today, remnants of the trail are part of the now 82-acre Kathan Woods nature preserve in the northeast corner of town just over the Cheshire border. The three-mile-long trail system is made up of the “Old Log Road” marked with yellow blazes and a trail marked with blue blazes that incorporates the old Quinnipiac trail with an “early town road” according to the trust.
According to the land trust’s website, the old logging roads were used by teamsters for the Waterbury brass mills. Waterbury, known as the “brass city,” had factories that produced buttons, screws, coins, tokens, hinges, watches, and clocks. Scovill Manufacturing, American Brass and the Chase Brass & Copper Company helped to make the city one of the largest manufacturer of brass products in the world.
Visitors park at the end of Boardman Drive and find their way to a kiosk with a map of the preserve. The trail splits about a half-mile away with visitors taking the trail marked with blue blazes to the top of Bluff Head. Although visitors in the summer get a slice of the nearby hillsides, the overlook is…