Khashoggi's body was 'dissolved' after murder: Erdogan advisor

Adjust Comment Print

"Despite our well-intentioned efforts to reveal the truth, no concrete results have come out of those meetings", the Istanbul chief prosecutor's office said, adding that it was in this light that it had been "obliged" to share the details about how Khashoggi was strangled and his body "dismembered and destroyed", in accordance with plans made in advance.

Turkey pressed Saudi authorities on Thursday to tell them the whereabouts of Khashoggi's body, which has not been recovered.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, and Istanbul's chief prosecutor, Irfan Fidan, separately called on their Saudi counterparts to identify the collaborator this week.

Khashoggi's friends and family say they want just a piece of his body so they can carry out his wish to be buried in the city of Medina, Islam's second holiest site.

Saudi authorities denied Turkish police permission to search a well in the garden of the consulate, but did allow them to take water samples for analysis, local media reported.

While insisting the United States did not condone Khashoggi's killing, the top USA diplomat said the United States had "deep and long-term strategic relationships" with Saudi Arabia and "we intend to make sure that those relationships remain intact".

Saudi Arabia, for its part, has kept quiet on the location of the body as Turkey and the worldwide community demand answers.

Speaking at a journalism awards ceremony Thursday, Fred Ryan, Publisher and CEO of the Washington Post which Khashoggi wrote for, urged the Trump administration to take a tougher line.

F1: Red Bull apologise to Daniel Ricciardo following Mexican Grand Prix devastation
The straight line power of his Mercedes nosed his vehicle in front until Verstappen cut under him at the first corner. The 1-2 start will be the first for Red Bull since the start of the hybrid engine era in 2014.

Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman told the United States he considered murdered writer Jamal Khashoggi to be a unsafe Islamist, media reports say.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has indicated that sanctions would soon be imposed on the individuals responsible.

"It'll take us probably a handful more weeks before we have enough evidence to actually put those sanctions in place, but I think we'll be able to get there", Pompeo said.

Trump has called the affair "one of the worst cover-ups in history", but warned halting a Saudi arms deal would harm United States jobs.

Saudi Arabia has denied the reports in the Washington Post and New York Times.

After initially insisting Khashoggi left the consulate unharmed, then saying he died in a brawl, the kingdom has admitted he was killed by a "rogue operation" on October 2. "We are going to hold accountable not only those who executed the murder but also those who led, involved or were connected to it", Palladino said.

In her article, Cengiz noted that the one-month anniversary of Khashoggi's death fell on the UN's International Day to End Impunity for Crimes against Journalists.

Comments