NJ man contracts brain eating amoeba at Texas resort

Adjust Comment Print

A surf park in Waco has closed for testing after a New Jersey man died earlier this month from a rare brain infection caused by an amoeba.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC ) is now testing the water at the BSR Cable Park's Surf Resort in Waco, Central Texas for the brain-eating amoeba.

Page organizer Stephanie Papastephanou wrote that while Stabile was mowing his lawn on the afternoon of Sunday September 16, he suddenly experienced a severe headache and went to lie down. He also said he and his workers' "hearts and prayers" are with family and friends of Stabile and the New Jersey surf community.

Stabile's obituary said that he passed away surrounded by his family on Friday, September 21 at the Atlantic City Medical Center.

The CDC says that it isn't possible to contract Naegleria fowleri by drinking contaminated water.

Officials with the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention are testing the Waco surf resort's water for Naegleria fowleri.

Symptoms start between one and nine days after swimming or other nasal exposure to Naegleria-containing water.

The surf park where Stabile is suspected to have contracted the infection
The surf park where Stabile is suspected to have contracted the infection

Between 2008 and 2017, 34 fatal infections were reported across the country, according to USA Today.

Craine said one person from out of state who visited the park has been infected by the amoeba, and the CDC is trying to find the source. On their site, the people from the CDC say that "four people in the USA out of 143 have survived infection from 1962 to 2017".

According to the Associated Press, Fabrizio Stabile had visited BSR Cable Park's Surf Resort soon before his death.

The infection is extremely rare but very deadly.

This typically occurs when people go swimming or diving in warm freshwater places, like lakes and rivers. Its symptoms mimic those of bacterial meningitis and include fever, headache, and nausea.

He died five days later and tested positive for Naegleria fowleri the day before his death, his family said.

The "heat-loving" amoeba causes PAM, or primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM), a rare and almost always fatal disease of the central nervous system, according to the CDC. Swallowing water contaminated by the amoeba can not cause the infection.

Tropical Storm Rosa nears Mexico’s Baja California coast
Rosa is expected to make landfall Monday as a tropical storm then continue moving northeast, soaking the southwestern US. As of Sunday afternoon, Rosa had maximum sustained winds of 120 kilometers per hour as it headed north at about 20 kph.

Comments