The United States and its allies waged more than 100 strikes on Syria on Friday in a "one time shot" that the Pentagon said followed conclusive evidence that Syrian President Bashar al-Assad was responsible for a chemical weapons attack using at least chlorine gas.
Defense Secretary James Mattis says the USA has no reports of suffering any losses during the initial airstrikes on Syria Friday, ABC reports.
At the United Nations, Syrian U.N. Ambassador Bashar Ja'afari told reporters that two teams of investigators from the global chemical weapons watchdog are due to arrive in Syria on Thursday and Friday to look into the Douma incident.
Mattis says military strikes in Syria are "directed at the Syrian regime" and they have "gone to great lengths to avoid civilians and foreign casualties".
French and British planes also took part in the operation, marking the first time the western powers have engaged in coordinated military action against the Assad regime.
"Last year we conducted a unilateral strike on a single site", Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Joseph Dunford revealed to reporters at the Department of Defense. They blame Damascus for the alleged chemical attack on the town of Douma in the devastated Eastern Ghouta suburb of the capital.
Mattis said that any further strikes would "depend on Mr. Assad, should he decide to use more chemical weapons in the future". "The third target, which was in the vicinity of the second target, contained both a chemical weapon equipment storage facility and an important command post". Damascus has denied responsibility for the attack, and Russian Federation said that a western military response risked provoking war. The president appeared to soften that threat on Thursday morning, when he said in a new tweet that an attack "could be very soon or not so soon at all", and "we'll see what happens". He did, however, say Syrian surface-to-air missiles were deployed against the attack, and did not believe Russian Federation responded at all.
Mike Pompeo, Trump's pick for secretary of Country, promises#039;Drive' against Russian aggression
As Pompeo literally began to babble, Booker pushed: "Yes or No?" "It should not be easy to go to war ". "I cooperated", Mr Pompeo said.
White House spokesman Raj Shah said Friday afternoon that Trump "is going to hold the Syrian government accountable".
Asked about the risks of United States military retaliation, Mattis cited two concerns, starting with avoiding civilian casualties. "But on a strategic level, it's how do we keep this from escalating out of control - if you get my drift on that", Mattis said.
Macron says the operation is restricted to Syria's abilities to supply chemical weapons. The United States and allies struck Syria Friday night and Russian Federation has promised that the attack will come with consequences.
Despite concerns of retaliation, Mattis said Syrian surface to air missiles were used, but did not say whether they were destroyed, and said more details would be available in the coming day.
Trump announced the airstrikes on Syria around 9 p.m. ET from the White House. Just weeks ago, Trump said he wanted to end US involvement in Syria and bring American troops home to focus on the homeland.
The action Friday was the second such strike Trump has authorized in Syria after the USA launched 59 Tomahawk missiles from warships at a Syrian airbase in April 2017.