UFC Star McGregor Facing Assault Charges After Backstage Melee

Adjust Comment Print

The UFC star hit the headlines today after reportedly being charged with three counts of assault and one count of criminal mischief in the USA, after furiously attacking a bus which was carrying his UFC rival Khabib Nurmagomedov.

The victor of today's UFC 223 main event at Barclays Centre was set to take the belt, but that bout was scratched when one contender failed to make weigh-in, and three preliminary fights were cancelled over the fall-out from McGregor's rampage during the media day.

McGregor was released on $50,000 bond and faces 12 charges, including two criminal mischief felonies.

McGregor's next court appearance was scheduled for June 14, TMZ reported.

McGregor threw a dolly through one of the bus's windows, injuring lightweight Michael Chiesa and flyweight Ray Borg and causing the UFC to pull both of their fights from Saturday's card.

"In the history of the UFC, this is definitely the worst thing that has happened", UFC president Dana White said.

"Normally, yes - I would dive right in and do everything in my power to help one of my guys", White said on the ESPN show. They snuck into the Barclays Center and attacked a bus containing a number of UFC fighters and employees.

"I can't speculate. It's like asking me if Charles Manson got released from jail, what would you do?"

Canada junior hockey team bus crash kills 14
Nipawin, Saskatchewan, is about three hours northeast of Saskatoon, the Canadian province's most populous city. He is one of the most adventurous, ambitious, and loving people that I have ever been blessed to know.

McGregor was arrested Thursday in NY after he ambushed UFC 223's media day.

Artem Lobov, a teammate of McGregor's, also took part in the melee, leading to his UFC 223 bout being canceled.

Fighter Cian Crowley also turned himself into the police and appeared in court Friday. 'Most of the things I would rather not say, and probably can't say on TV'.

In total, six fighters were taken off the card due to circumstances out of their control.

"So much rumor and misinformation about my client, Conor McGregor", Attar wrote on Twitter on Saturday. According to MMA Junkie, Anthony Pettis - who had been scheduled to fight Chiesa - has been called upon to fight Nurmagomedov, although reports indicated other fighters might still be chosen.

McGregor leaves a NY police station to be taken to court.

"This is way bigger than 'are you going to fire the guy?' This is criminal", he said.

The Irishman reportedly pocketed around US$100 million (RM387,000) for the superfight he lost in August in Las Vegas against ex-welterweight champion boxer Floyd Mayweather. Nurmagomedov will fight Max Holloway for the lightweight championship left vacant by McGregor.

Comments