Myanmar says soldiers murdered ten Rohingya

Adjust Comment Print

"Only the security guards and some villagers from Inn Din village would know".

Relations between ethnic Rakhine Buddhists and Rohingya Muslims who lived in separate areas in the Inn Din village tract grew tense following deadly small-scale attacks by Muslim militants on border guard stations on October 9, 2016, which triggered a crackdown by security forces.

An internal military investigation in Myanmar found that Burmese soldiers and Buddhist local villagers were responsible for the murder of 10 captured Rohingya Muslims who were found buried in a mass grave in the western state of Rakhine.

Security forces stationed at Inn Din village were then attacked by about 200 Rohingya brandishing sticks and swords on September 1.

They were never seen again, said Marjan, who was later told by another man that her husband and the others were slaughtered.

"There are many mass graves".

Meanwhile, the U.S. ambassador to Myanmar described the army's statement on the massacre as "an important step".

"The military's acknowledgment that the security forces were involved in the killing of these 10 individuals is an important step", Ambassador Scot Marciel said in a forum on media freedom with journalism students and reporters in the commercial capital Yangon.

"The government are trying to show us that they still hold the power and that we can not report on whatever we want, even if we are doing the right thing and holding the government to account", he told Al Jazeera, a week after his release. "I would stress this should be done, not as a favor to the global community, but because it's good for the health of Myanmar's democracy".

The United States has previously said the sweeping military counteroffensive amounted to "ethnic cleansing". Myanmar denies that, saying its forces were carrying out legitimate counterinsurgency operations.

Logan Paul Punished by YouTube for Controversial Video
Paul was removed from Google Preferred, a premier ad service that offers brand advertisers access to top YouTube producers. So far, there have been no reports of advertisers pulling ads from YouTube in response to the Logan Paul situation.

"It is only the tip of the iceberg and warrants a serious independent investigation into what other atrocities were committed amid the ethnic cleansing campaign that has forced out more than 655,000 Rohingya from Rakhine State since last August", said James Gomez, Amnesty International's regional director for Southeast Asia and the Pacific.

But the villagers' interviews indicated that the army account of the massacre is deeply flawed and defensive, rather than an admission of misconduct.

The statement, published Wednesday on the Facebook page of Myanmar's Commander-in-Chief Senior General Min Aung Hlaing, explained that security forces had been conducting a "clearance operation" when "200 Bengali terrorists attacked using sticks and swords".

The Government of Myanmar has established a ministerial committee tasked with implementing the recommendations of the final report of the Rakhine Advisory Commission chaired by Kofi Annan, which include addressing the stateless status of the Rohingya population and meeting priority needs.

"They were not part of any movement".

The Spokesperson said Rohingya children desperately need education if they are to have any kind of prospects for a better future.

Until Wednesday, Myanmar army has vigorously denied any abuses, instead locking down access to Rakhine state and accusing critics - including the United Nations - of pro-Rohingya bias and spreading "fake news".

"Action will be taken against the villagers ... and the security force members who violated the rules of engagement according to the law", the statement said.

Last month Doctors Without Borders said at least 6,700 Rohingya were killed in the first month of the army crackdown on rebels in Rakhine - the highest estimated death toll yet of violence that erupted on Aug 25.